Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Whole Food and Nothing But the Food: Mexican Monday



So I'm starting the year off right. As promised, I am going au naturale...wait, that's naked. No no, I'm going natural for 2012. I went to the grocery store this week, heavily weighed down by the resolution that I would not eat or drink anything processed.

With no patience for whole foods shopping, I walked out of the store with some tomatoes, fresh cilantro, and a bag of dry pinto beans. IN DEFEAT. I thought to myself: Let the hunger games begin!

It took some series talking down from my parentals to put it all in perspective. Don't focus on what you shouldn't eat, focus on getting more of what you should eat. Instead of nit picking over every wayward ingredient in the nutritional facts, I started focusing on getting more heathy whole foods in my diet.

With that in mind, I started looking around at foods I love and wondering if I could make them naturally--from scratch. It was Mexican Monday, a holiday I made up two years ago in Mexico, and all I wanted was something tasty, warm, and cilantro-tastic. And that's how I ended up digging up my crock pot and making a fabulously all natural Mexican feast of Organic Non-GMO Tortillas, Tomatoes, and homemade refried beans and avocado.  Om nom nom...

I slightly modified this recipe from 100 Days of Real Food






Refried Beans: Ingredients:
  • 1 onion, peeled and halved
  • 2 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
  • ½ fresh jalapeno or other hot pepper, seeded and chopped ( I used a Scotch Bonnet Pepper--HOT!)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • ¾ teaspoons salt
  • ½ teaspoon black pepper
  • One big pinch of cumin
  • 6 cups water



Literally dump it all in the slow cooker and put it on high. 


Cook for 8 hours on high or overnight. When it's done, use a masher to crush the rest of the beans.


To go along with that slice some cherry tomatoes and some fresh cilantro. Fresh avocado mashed with a dash of salt makes an AMAZING side. 
I ended up taking this to work for lunch. FEAST!

Enjoy!

No comments: